Waverley Grammar School Arch Magazines

A site to publish the annual magazines of Waverley Grammar School and to invite comments from former pupils.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Waverley Grammar School, The Arch, 1955


"All experience is an arch,
Where thro' gleams that untravelled world."


The recent sad news of Miss Jones' death, the retirement of Mr. Whiteley at the end of last year, the forthcoming retirement of Miss Stansfield at the end of this term --all these things will lead us to wonder whether we are not losing our links with the past. For Waverley is, by present standards, an old school--it predates the modern Grammar School tradition of which we are all so proud. Although we all deplore the evidences of that (comparative) antiquity, as they are manifested in the architecture, the facilities, the heating system, and so on, we should take a more active pride in the fact that our school was one of the original foundation stones on which this present great system of Grammar School education was built, and is still being built. It was through the planning and care and hard work of such people as we have mentioned above that the present day idea of the Grammar School became possible; some of us need to consider carefully whether we are really doing all that we can to maintain those standards.

But time is passing, and we must keep track of it. The Magazine has changed its form somewhat to show that it is trying to keep apace with its times, though the present change is a good deal less radical than that which it sustained when it first went into utility dress because of shortages after the War. However, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, and we still need contributions to keep it full. Letters are particularly welcome, provided that the writers bear in mind that we are not in competition with the popular daily newspapers, and that we do not pay one guinea per letter for useful hints; but if you find that lessons are too short, holidays too long, or prefects too gentle, you should take this opportunity of voicing your grievances; if you have heard sounds or seen wonders that others have missed, and lack the gift of poetry, write us a letter about it instead. One would imagine, from the way in which contributions arrive, that you all go into a kind of suspended animation for the greater part of the year, emerging only about two weeks from the time of going to press with poems, essays and ideas. The Committee would be delighted to receive some bright contributions to sustain their enthusiasm throughout the long winter months. Even if your work is not printed (and most young authors nowadays expect to get two or three hundred rejection slips before they see any of their work in print), you will at least have had the satisfaction of bringing some joy into the life of a member of the Magazine Committee.


Miss A. E. Jones

The School learned with deep sorrow of the death, on May 18th, of Miss A. E. Jones, who was Senior French Mistress at the time of her retirement in December, 1954. Miss Jones was appointed to the Staff in 1917, and had served the greater part of her long teaching career at Waverley.

Those pupils, past and present, who were taught by Miss Jones know how much they owe to her. Her gifts as a teacher were not confined to her specialist subject, French, but extended to the roots of a liberal education, and spread from there to the contacts of everyday life. Her highest aim was to inculcate a love of learning for its own sake, and she firmly believed that the way to do this was to provide the best conditions for learning in pleasant surroundings.

Her teaching methods were original and made an immediate impact. Rare indeed were the French lessons that were not enlivened by a dramatic search for "le mot juste", and if it could not be found in French--Latin, English, and even Welsh, were called in to help. Miss Jones was rightly proud of the Celtic fire in her soul. She could be roused to vehement indignation when pupils fell below the high standards of which they were capable, but her sympathetic understanding never failed to help those who honestly tried and were still found wanting.

We remember with gratitude that we shared the benefits of Miss Jones' long and successful experience as a teacher, and that our life at school here was so much enriched by her gaiety and wit, and by the influence of her personality during the years of her vitality and strength.



September 7th. The new school year began. We welcomed our new Head Master, Mr. E. G.Hill, M.A., who came to us from the Joseph Leckie School at Walsall; we also welcomed to the Staff Mrs. Bridges, who came to teach French, Fräulein Beier, and Mademoiselle Bouton.

September 24th. We held our Annual Harvest Festival; the sale of fruit and vegetablesproduced a substantial amount, and we also sent baskets of fruit tomembers of the School who were in hospital.

September 29th.A party from the fifth forms went to the Alexandra Theatre to see aproduction of Oliver Goldsmith's She Stoops to Conquer. "This popularcomedy was very successfully performed by the Repertory Company, andthere were memorable portrayals of Mrs. Hardcastle by Joan Blake andof Tony Lumpkin by Anthony Sagar. Amongst the many amusing andcolourful scenes, we were particularly impressed by the one in which Mr. Hardcastle tried to train his servants, typical country-bred fellows, to perform the duties of accomplished servants. After manytrials and tribulations, for the Squire and his Lady, the play endedon a cheerful note, and we left the Theatre in animated discussion of the play and all very grateful to the Foyle Trust, which makespossible our regular visits to the theatre."

(IRENE HUNT, 6th).

October 7th. A group of sixth formers attended a meeting of the BirminghamUniversity Geographical Society to hear a lecture given by Miss J. Garrett, on "Water Supply and Economic Development in New SouthWales." The lecture, illustrated with colour slides, was particularly interesting because we knew that Miss Garrett had only just returnedfrom a long visit to that part of Australia.

November 4th. Four hundred poppies were sold to pupils and staff, and the amountcollected for the Earl Haig Fund was £6 17s. 8d., which is a record for the School.

A group from Form VI attended a lecture at the University called "TheMountains of the Moon--Ruwenzori," delivered by Professor R. F. Peel, of the University of Leeds. Some of the company were surprised tolearn that these mountains are not on the Moon at all, but aresituated in East Africa, forming the boundary between the Belgian Congo and Uganda.

November 5th. The woodwind section of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestravisited the School.

November 10th. A party, drawn mainly from the Lower Sixth, visited the Repertory Theatre to see a performance of Chekhov's Uncle Vanya.

November 16th. A party visited the Bournville Operatic Society'sproduction of Carmen. June Roberts (6th), writes: "...The contraltowho played the title role sang with the fervour habitually found inher predecessors in this part, but although the music isall-important, the appearance of all concerned should also be asattractive as possible. I regret to say that this ideal was notachieved, for Carmen's appearance was not faithful to her original.The remainder of the cast, together with the orchestra, sometimesseemed rather out of harmony, but all things considered a fairstandard of amateur production was achieved."

November 24th. A party from Form V went to Kidderminster to see a production of Richard II. The following criticism of the production is from TessBlack (Va): "...the play was performed by the Elizabethan Theatre Group. Although we spent an enjoyable afternoon, the actual production of the play was not as good as we had anticipated. The most striking disappointment was that there were no changes of scenery, and such scenery as there was consisted largely of packingcases. The portrayal of the characters was also disappointing: York, although he is a serious, patriotic nobleman, was portrayed as a fool, and the effect his part was meant to create was spoiled; Bolingbroke, a self-willed, masterly, overpowering person, wasrepresented in the play by a quiet spoken actor, who added no vigourto the part. The King and Queen, however, were more accuratelypresented. The romantic, fanciful, but weak-willed character of Richard was played very well by Tony Robertson. The production was completely different from what we had expected, but I think we reaped a little benefit from our visit. Certainly it gave us plenty to discuss on our homeward journey."

November 26th. Two representatives of each German class from IIIa upwards, together with reserves, took part in a German Speaking Competition, arranged by Miss Jones, of the Harrison Barrow Grammar School, and judged by Mr. Lockwood, from the University. At the Harrison-Barrow School we were treated to an excellent tea, including German cakes, for which we must thank the Staff, who made them.

The competition was very keen, particularly between Waverley and Harrison-Barrow (for Five Ways Grammar School also participated). Inthe Third Form Ann Carter drew with one of their girls; our Fourth and Fifth Forms were defeated by them, but Colin Nicholls upheld the honour of the Sixth Form boys by forcing the Girls' School to a draw.

Afterwards we were shown an exhibition, including very interesting posters and leaflets, and many excellent photographs of Germany. There were also such characteristic things from the Black Forest and Hessen, as dolls and picturesque national costumes. There were alsoalbums compiled by Harrison-Barrow girls, which showed an enthusiasm for Germany, which we could copy with advantage. (SHEILA MASON, IVa).


December 8th. At 2.30 p.m. on this, the first snowy day of winter, the School attended a Carol Service in St. Martin's Church. The Service followed the traditional pattern of the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, inaugurated by King's College Chapel, Cambridge, and was conducted bythe Reverend G. C. Potts. Those present included Mr. Whiteley,members of the Education Committee, and the parents of pupils. After the bidding prayer, the School Choir and the congregation sang "Once in Royal David's City." The first lesson was read by C. B. Nichols,and later readers represented the various forms of the School. Apart from Lorna Haywood's solo, "The Little Road to Bethlehem," most of the carols were arranged by Mr. Walker, and sung by the Choir. TheHead Master read the ninth lesson, and the congregation joined the Choir in the singing of "O Come, All ye Faithful." The Service endedwith the Collect for the Nativity, and the Blessing.


December 14th. A party was given for the First Forms, and Form VI made themselves responsible for the entertainments. Margaret Dobbins, of Ib, writes: "At our Christmas Party on the 14th of December, we first played some games, such as duster hockey, passing the parcel, and a very amusing one called "kipper-flipping." The winning teams of each game were given toffees. We were then each given a slip of paper on which was written a word or phrase and were told to find a boy or girl with a word belonging to our own--"oranges" and "lemons", for instance. This was to pair us off for tea. The boys of the Sixth Form gave a shadow show for us which was very successful, and afterwards we went for tea to the Canteen. A few games followed in the Hall and our entertainment ended with an extremely comical performance by the"Waverley Ensemble", in which the pianist played "Home Sweet Home" until the violinist fell asleep; another "musician" became so hot he took off half a dozen pullovers, and when the trombone fell to pieces, all ended in confusion. We were all very grateful to the members of the Staff and Form VI for their wonderful organisation, and also to the cooks for our party tea."

On the evening of the 14th an informal concert was held. Thefollowing report comes from B. Harris, of Form VI. "It has beenour custom during the past few years to present an opera at the end of the Christmas term. However, Mr. Barnes and Mr. Walker were unableto write one for this year, and so a concert was arranged instead.

This concert followed the traditional lines of our summer concerts, beginning with the "Waverley Strings". Under the direction of Mr.Gossidge, they played a selection of Handel melodies, chosen and arranged by Mr. Walker. The orchestra once more proved its worth andmade an exciting overture to the evening. This was followed by anumber of solo items by members of the Sixth Form. First of all B. Harris sang the "Sentry's Song" from "Iolanthe"; this was followed by C. B. Nichols' rendering of the "Nightmare Song" from the same work, and it was most enthusiastically applauded. A non-vocal item followed, when M. J. Flynn played a piano arrangement of the "Pizzicati" from Delibes' opera "Sylvia". Lorna Haywood ended the solo items by singing "O Mistress Mine" by Roger Quilter.

There followed the period in which Mr. Walker always asks theaudience to make a noise to cover that made by the Choir, as theyarrange themselves on the platform. They commenced their programmeby reminding the audience that it was Christmas, in a rendering of some traditional carols, and also some modern ones. These provided opportunities for some of the younger members of the Choir to singsolos, and to demonstrate that there is talent ready to replace thatlost when older pupils leave.

There followed a selection of songs from an unwritten Waverley Opera; the Finale was provided by Mr. Walker having resurrected from thecobwebby depths of the Masters' Common Room the copy of "ItalianSalad". This, after much polishing and inserting of new ideas, provedas invigorating as on earlier occasions, and provided a fitting climax to a stimulating evening."

December 15th. The Senior Party for Fifth and Sixth Forms, is reported by Janet Black (VI). "The Party began at six o'clock, andthe first half of the evening was occupied by team games, and a vigorous indoor hockey match, in which an unintentional, but well-timed goal, was scored by Mr. Guilbert. Tea followed in the Canteen, and there was a reversal of normal custom with the Staff serving the pupils. After tea, everyone returned to the Hall, where the floor had been prepared for dancing. Two demonstration sets introduced the "Grand Chain" from the Lancers, and the "Dashing White Sergeant", which was immediately acclaimed by all and called for several times during the evening. The "Grand Chain", when danced by everybody, ended in utter confusion, but it was great fun and leftus all practically exhausted. Time slipped by quickly and at 9 o'clock, the hour intended for the close of the party, no one wanted to leave, so Mr. Hill very kindly gave us permission to continue. Prizes were awarded, but fortunately they were spot prizes, and so the quality of the dancing did not have to be judged. Mr. Harrison was an excellent M.C., and our thanks are due to him, to many other members of the Staff, and to the cooks, for providing us with a thoroughly enjoyable evening."


December 16th. Many pupils went to hear Brigadier Sir John Hunt's lecture in the University's Great Hall. "Almost as soon as it was announced that Sir John was to visit Birmingham University to give a lantern lecture on his expedition to Mount Everest in 1953, all those of us in the Upper School who take Geography, and many more besides, were very keen to go. At first it seemed unlikely that we should be able to obtain tickets, but thanks to Mrs. Mills and Miss Christopher, both of whom are on the Committee of the Birmingham Branch of the Geographical Association, we were allocated very good seats near the front of the Great Hall, at Edgbaston.

I cannot quite remember what I had anticipated, but I do know thatthe lecture surpassed all my expectations--it was in fact excellent. So clear and vivid were Sir John's descriptions of the ascent, aided by colour slides, that I felt as if I were out there on the mountain, sharing the climbers' experiences, their fears on discovering fresh obstacles, their determination in attempting them, and their hopes after conquering them.

Sir John related the whole story in detail, from the assembling of the company and equipment at Katmandu, to the time when Hilary and Tensing rejoined their colleagues and relaxed blissfully in the knowledge that they had achieved what they had set out to do, what no man had ever done before them--they had conquered the highest mountain in the world. Sir John was not lacking in humour, for his account contained some very realistic and human touches. There was, for instance, his story of how he found, in the wreckage of a previous expedition, a tin of sardines and a jar of honey, and despite the fact that one is not supposed to be capable of eating such food at such an altitude, he crawled away from his companions to another tent and secretly enjoyed them all to himself. He narrated also how one of the party, catching sight of the returning Tensing and Hilary, and feeling sorry for them, decided to set off towards them with a flask of coffee. He did so, but when he realised what rough going it would be, before he could reach them, he decided that they were not so tired after all--and drank the coffee himself. Not once during the lecture did Sir John hesitate or stumble, but he delivered it with a clarity and accuracy that is characteristic. He showed himself to be, not only one who has achieved much, but a great personality also."--(IRENE HUNT, VI).

January 10th. The first major event of the new term was a visit, organised by Mr. Chope, to the Birmingham and Midland Institute Conversazione.

Beryl Webster (VI), writes: "...This is a festival of arts andsciences, consisting of exhibitions and entertainments. A very wide range of activities was covered, and it would be impossible to do justice to every exhibit in the restricted space available, so I will mention a few of the more outstanding.

Some examples of the art of carving were illustrated in a collection of walking sticks, with handles delicately designed in the shape ofanimals and birds. In the same room was a model of a bazaar; this model, made in 1830, was an extension of the fashion, then in vogue, of making pedlar dolls with trays of miniature wares. The model represented a drawing room bazaar, and displayed more than 250 small objects, set out for sale.
In the Reading Room, the Archæological Society exhibited plans and photographs of recently demolished buildings, together with a miscellany of Eastern objets d'art and a collection of bill heads, letters, advertisements and postal material, illustrating the life of our ancestors. An exceedingly ingenious machine on view was the Teletype setter operated Linotype, which is capable of handling twelve lines of type per minute, and transferring it on to metalblocks for production. This machine has been in use since 1936, but much improvement was necessary to make it commercially practical.

The B.S.M. exhibit was perhaps one of the most exciting working models in the entire show. This was a reaction tester for would-be drivers, complete with clutch, foot-brake, accelerator and speedometer. In the same room as this exhibit was a caramel wrapping machine. Toffees and similar pieces of confectionery were fed into the machine, which neatly folded wax backed foil, or cellulose film, around them at a speed of 160 pieces per minute.

The Natural History section of the exhibition held special interest for us, since Mr. Chope had an exhibit on view. The section presented a study of the national history of Sutton Park and, in rather less detail, that of Edgbaston Park, the Society's Nature Reserve.

Whilst the Exhibition was in full swing, the large theatre was being used to present first, "Cavalcade of Fashion"--a century of dressfashions, and then The Pirates of Penzance, presented by the Savoy Operatic and Dramatic Society. In the cinema, Powered Flight was showing; this was a history of flying from the Wright Brothers to the present day.

These brief notes are by no means adequate to give a true representation of this truly amazing exhibition, which had to be seen to be appreciated. Only a small section has been reported here, and even four hours were insufficient in which to appreciate the marvelof it all."


January 27th. The Annual Speech Day and Prize-giving was held at the Friends' Institute in Moseley Road. Many members of the Education Committee were present, including Alderman Mrs. E. V. Smith and Councillors Mrs. M. A. Brown and Messrs. D. W. Lawson, W. H. Poulton, F. R.Strain, W. B. Kenrick, and R. T. Wothers, the Chief Education Officer, Mr. E. L. Russell, C.B.E., the Rev. R. G. Lunt, Chief Master of King Edward's School, and Miss D. S. Lloyd-Williams, theHead Mistress of King Edward's High School for Girls. Alderman F. Moody was in the chair. The evening started with the singing of the School Hymn, and this was followed by a speech from the Chairman. The Head Master's Report of the year's activities followed. Mr. Hill spoke of the changes in staffing during the past year, referring especially to the departure of Mr. Whiteley, after twenty-seven years of fine service to the School. He went on to say that although external examinations came in for a good deal of censure, they were the only obvious means of assessing the academic achievements of a school; at Waverley the standards achieved at the Ordinary level of the G.C.E. had maintained a good average standard, whereas the standards achieved at Advanced level had been considerably higher than the national average. He suggested, therefore, that parents had good reason to allow their children to stay on in the Sixth Form, if the School considered their standards sufficiently high to justify a place. He was particularly glad to place on record the names of those who had, aided by the Local Authority, gone up to the University the previous October: H. F. Conley, who went to the London School of Economics, to read Economics; A. H. Craig, who went to Leeds to read for an Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering; C. S. Uttley, who went to Leicester to read for an Honours Degree in Mathematics; J. A.Lucas, who went to Leeds to read Chemical Engineering; and A. B.Hitchings, J. P. Wills, A. K. G. Evans and Shirley Fawke, all of whom went to Birmingham University to read Social Science, Dentistry, Commerce and Modern Languages respectively. In addition six pupils went to Training Colleges. The Head Master then went on to mention the other activities of the School, from sport to foreign travel, and concluded by emphasising again the importance of the Sixth Form in this age of technology.

There followed a speech by the Speaker, the Rev. J. S. BoysSmith, who is a fellow and Tutor of St. John's College, Cambridge. He spoke of the importance of the Grammar School in our educational system, and laid great stress upon the fact that its function is not primarily to instruct its pupils, but to educate them for a fuller life. The vote of thanks that followed was proposed by the Head Boy, C. B. Nichols, and seconded by Councillor Mr. W. B. Kenrick.


Those who obtained General Certificates of Education at the Advancedlevel were as follows :

Shirley Danter (French)
Shirley Fawke (French, Geography and English)
Mary Hawtin (English and Geography)
A. J. Allen (English and Geography)
A. B. Hitchings (Geography--with Distinction--History and English)
R. H. Jeffs (Mathematics)
G. E. King (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry)
J. A. Lucas (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry--with Distinction)
B. M. Bowler (Geography)
H. F. Conley (Geography, History and French)
A. H. Craig (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry)
A. K. G. Evans (Geography--with Distinction--History and English)
W. G. Smith (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry)
C. S. Uttley (Pure and Applied Mathematics and Geography)
J. P. Wills (Physics, Chemistry and Biology)

Ordinary Level:

Sheila Allen, Joyce Bishop, Mary Blackband
Rita Blundell, Valerie Bond, Audrey Brookes
Pauline Burbidge, Mary Cleworth, Dilys Connor
Lettie Cutler, Christine Davies, Christine Dickie
Margaret Dunn, Grace Ellis, Janet Engledow
Sheila Flanagan, June Foulkes, Valerie Fox
Patricia Gair, Pauline Gair, Glenys Goss
Janet Gough, Marian Hancock, Lorna Haywood
Patricia Husbands, Maureen Hyde, Patricia Jewell
Pamela Kinnell, B. E. Adams, G. J. Adams,
R. M. Atkins, D. W. Ball, D. E. Beamish ,
D. J. Beardshaw, L. F. Bennett, B. J. Bodfish ,
S. Bough, M. K. Bridgewater, G. T. Brindley ,
J. Carthey, G. G. Collins, M. A. Courbet ,
A. J. Covel, R. A. Cowles, D. T. Duggins ,
G. E. Evans, B. F. Gardner, A. V. Gennoe ,
D. W. Gibbs, D. J. Grove, P. Hall ,
M. C. Harley, D. G. Harris, N. F. Hartland ,
B. E. Hawkins, B. G. Hoare, Janet Lewis ,
Dorcas Living, Antoinette Lloyd, Anita Lynes ,
Eileen McKeon, Dorothy Meadowcroft, Maureen Phillips ,
Margaret Pountney, Iris Pudge, Barbara Quin ,
Veronica Reynolds, Dorothy Richards, Sheila Richards,
June Roberts, Gwyneth Salusbury, Barbara Shaw ,
Margaret Shaw, Sheila Smith, Ann Strain ,
Marlene Taylor, Margaret Treadwell, Pauline Walker ,
Janet Ward, Beryl Webster, Doris White ,
Shirley Woodgate, Margaret Woodward, Joyce Wright ,
D. E. Hopper, P. J. Howell, J. E. Jefferson ,
P. R. G. Kennard, B. J. Lancaster, R. F. Lee ,
J. A. Marks, P. G. Matthews, C. G. Moore ,
G. J. Myring, C. B. Nichols, A. Philpott ,
J. N. Randle, B. A. Richards, D. Richards ,
K. Sewell, D. Shirley, D. J. Silverman ,
A. L. Teague, J. E. Thompson, D. J. Toney ,
A. J. Turner, R. C. Twyford, B. G. White ,
R. L. Whitehouse, J. D. Williams, B. W. S. Wilson ,
J. Yarsley.


January 28th. The French Choir were invited to present a second programme of folksongs on the Midland Service of the B.B.C. C. B. Nichols writes:"...at 6.38 p.m., the French Choir entered the Broad Street studios of the B.B.C. Penetrating to the bowels of the building, we at last reached "our" studio, which was not quite so long as the School Hall. The glass-fronted control room, for all the world like some gigantic aquarium, cut off one corner of it; in the opposite corner of the studio stood a triangular platform, while a third corner held various musical instruments--locked. Around the wall were sound baffles.

After thoroughly investigating these novelties, we practised the songs to find the best microphone positions. The sounds produced must have been weird, or wonderful, for a photographer of the Birmingham Weekly Post soon appeared, and proceeded to take photographs of the Choir in the act of making their best "oohs" and "ahs". (These photographs, incidentally, are to be recommended to all who are interested in the study of dentistry or tonsil-lectomy). All this effort had made us rather warm, so that the B.B.C. kindly supplied us with orange squash. In one of the photographs the Musical Director was shown apparently pouring it out--from a jug which had been empty for ten minutes.

There being still some minutes to wait before the broadcast, the musicians of the party gave us their interpretations, on the pianos available, of anything from "Greensleeves" to the latest hit tune, all at the same time.

Eight o'clock crept closer, and a few minutes before the red light was due to come on, a comparative silence descended, broken only by frequent nervous coughing. All eyes converged on the signal bulbs. The second-hand on the large clock nicked away the moments, and at eight exactly, the bulb flashed on. The announcer launched his script into a sea of orange squash and began: "This is the B.B.C. Home Service...."

February 7th. Ten of our senior pupils were entertained to tea in the Lord Mayor's Parlour by the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress and met a party of young South Africans who were visiting Birmingham. These South Africans were visiting England as prize winners in a competition organised by the British Travel and Holidays Association in conjunction with the South African Educa­tion Department. After tea, the visitors were shown around the City and much appreciated being escorted by our Sixth Form pupils, whose expert knowledge of the City added much to their enjoyment.

We are indeed most grateful to the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress for their kindness and hospitality to us on this occasion.

February 12th. The French Choir joined the Choir of Aston Parish Church to present a concert in the Dyson Hall, Aston.

March l0th. A small party went to the City Art Gallery to listen to Jean Rossol, in a selection of French songs, to which he provided anaccompaniment on the guitar.


March 12th. A party of girls from the 1st and 2nd hockey elevens visited Wembley to see the international match between England and Wales. "We travelled by a special train chartered by the Warwickshire Women's Hockey Association, in order to transport groups of schoolgirl hockey enthusiasts to Wembley. This was our first school visit to the Stadium. Our seats were well situated, near the front, and in a central position, affording a good view of the whole pitch.

Soon the teams entered the arena for a knock-up--England in red shorts, red socks, and white blouses; Wales in navy blue socks and shorts and red blouses. In a few minutes the whistle blew, and the excitement began. Vera Chapman, the left inner, soon scored for England, and Jean Hassall, a new inner, scored in her first Wembley match. We noted the firm hard hitting, the speed of the forwards, and the clearance by the defence. The Welsh goalkeeper left her goal open several times, and England made the most of these opportunities. The free hits were taken with great speed and there were many tips which we were able to gain from these experts. All too soon the whistleblew for full-time with the score 6-1 in England's favour."

(Sheila Smith, Marlene Taylor, Audrey Brookes, 6x).

March 16th. "Having been invited to sing at Northcote SecondaryModern School, the French Choir set off and arrived in Wolverhampton at about 3.15. The audience consisted not only of Northcote pupils, but also of guests from Wolverhampton High School for Girls. Half-way through the programme, which was that of our January broadcast, the Northcote strings gave a short recital. Unfortunately we were unable to hear this, and so were unable to compare it with our own string orchestra". (Lorna Haywood, VI).

Two sixth form pupils left for the Geography Field Centre at Malham. M. J. Flynn takes up the story: "it is the practice at Waverley, for sixth formers who intend to read geography at University level, to go for a week to the Field Centre at Malham, in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The idea is that field work should be recognised as true geography alongside with book work.

Besides its value as a Field Centre, the Malham Tarn area can boast much fine scenery, with views that often prove ample reward for hours of stiff uphill climbing.

At 5.30 p.m. on the evening of the 16th, we arrived at the Centre, over­looking the Tarn, which, ominously enough, was still frozen over. There remained much snow on the moors, and we were soon to become acquainted not only with the extensive drifts, but also with the biting north wind that had kept them frozen for so long.

A detailed account of the programme would not make interesting reading, while it might dismay any budding geographer with its technicalities. But there were two particularly interesting excursions during the week; the first around the Tarn itself, the second an "All-Waverley" effort into the distant region of Pen-y-Ghent.

On the first day we went south around the Tarn and along the Dry Valley--the original course of a river from the Tarn. Soon we came to the chief land­mark of the area, an impressive 2408 cliff called Malham Cove, over which the river used to fall. By now an inquisitive reader should have asked why the river no longer flows along its old course, nor falls majestically over the great cliff. The simple answer is that the river has gone underground. The Malham is predominantly limestone, and in the course of time, water opens fissures in this rock and flows along under the surface. Thus the drainage from the Tarn emerges in a spring two miles below the Cove, and drainage from the moors to the northwest of the tarn emerges at the foot of the Cove itself--an example of that simple feature with the dismaying name--the vauclusian spring....The excursions of the next four days are of less interest: suffice it to say that we visited some disused coal mines on the top of a mountain, saw remains of some iron age houses and climbed Fountains Fell...On the last day we were split into small parties and given a problem to answer. Our particular task was to make a survey of a small stream known as Pen-y-Ghent Gill. We were rather dubious at first about taking on such a task, because the stream was over twelve miles away and had never been surveyed before--not that we expected to improve that situation! However, we found the gill well worth visiting: it had a series of small waterfalls, many limestone pavements, woods and overhanging rocky scarps, and it was one of the most beautiful places in the Malham area.

But we stayed too long for our survey, for we had taken the advice of a gamekeeper, and left ourselves an hour to return to the Centre. It took us almost three."

April 20th. A party from Form VI visited the Repertory Theatre to see The Confidential Clerk. The following criticism is from Maureen Woolcott (VI). "T. S. Eliot, a contemporary writer who has done much to create fresh interest in the poetic drama, both here and in America, was the author of The Cocktail Party. It was written in free verse, but the verse element was not emphasised--in fact was hardly noticeable, unless one was specially listening for it. The plot consisted in the unwinding of entanglements caused by both Lord and Lady Mulhammers' having had children before their own marriage. Both had entrusted a son to the care of a Mrs. Guzzard, although this was not realised until half-way through the play, and it was she who was instrumental in bringing about the denouement. The acting of Jack Mayas Sir Claude Mulhammer was indifferent and Mrs. Guzzard (Nancy Jackson), was not as formidable as we had been led to believe, but the other members of the cast filled their parts well. The settings, especially the mews flat, furnished in contemporary style, were excellent."

April 26th. We received an invitation for the French Choir to sing to members of the Anglo-French Garden Club, Hagley Road. We received a warm welcome from Monsieur Jean Malbert, the Delegue Culturel for Birmingham. Our programme was based on that of our January broadcast but the concert ended with a rendering of what is now almost a Waverley tradition, "Italian Salad."

M. Malbert thanked Mr. Walker and the Choir on behalf of the audience and then expressed his own appreciation by kissing the nearest member of the Choir on both cheeks." (LORNA HAYWOOD, VI).


Because we go to press soon after Whitsun, we are not able to make this survey of the past year as comprehensive as we would wish, for we lack the gift of prescience. There is one rather sad event, however, which we know is going to take place at the end of this term: Miss Stansfield is going to retire from teaching. Here, with evidence of school activities around us, seems the best place to pay tribute to her long devotion to teaching. A correspondent writes: "Miss Stansfield has been German Mistress of Waverley Grammar School since September, 1912, and Deputy Senior Mistress for several years; it is therefore with great regret that we have learnt of her decision to retire at the end of this term. It is extremely difficult for any of us to imagine Waverley without her, and it is quite impossible to estimate what she has done for the School. Her unflagging devotion to duty and the high standards and ideals which she has set before us, not only in the form room but also in the fuller life of the School, will always be an inspiration to those who have been privileged to know and work with her.

Many generations of pupils have learnt German under Miss Stansfield's able guidance, and taken part in the many activities of the German Society. They will never forget the wonderful holidays and the many exchanges arranged with German Schools, and will always have many happy memories which they will treasure for the rest of their lives.

Ivanhoe girls will face an especial loss as her wise counsel and guidance have done much to lead the House to the many successes it has enjoyed over the years.

The influence of Miss Stansfield has been felt by many generations of staff and pupils and she can resign her post, secure in the knowledge that her work has been well done and that she holds a place in the affections of so many of us. We wish her many happy years of retirement."

There then follow details of Sports and House activities for the year, which are here omitted. Along with the photographs and illustations these are published on the CD-ROM which will be released in due course.




Chairman: MR. MILLS.

Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: BERYL WEBSTER.

The news of the death of Miss Jones has come as a heavy blow to the Cercle Français, and we should like to take this opportunity to place upon record our appreciation of the lively interest that she took inthe society and of the trouble to which she went to make our meetingsenjoyable.

A new Committee was recently formed with Mr. Mills as chairman, ably assisted by the French Staff. One member was elected from each of the Forms IV, V and VI, and a programme has been drawn up. Meetings are held once a month on Tuesday evenings. Our first meeting of the year was a tea-party sing-song, to which the third forms were invited. In November, Mlle. Boutin gave us an informative lecture about the country around Bordeaux, her native town. Three films, "Bernard de Clairvaux", "Terre Basse Alpine" and "Conquest of the Snow" were shown in February. All of these activities were very much enjoyed, and we are now looking forward to a talk on Paris by Mrs. Bridges.

At Christmas we had our annual party; although it was almost postponed indefinitely, the technical hitch was finally rectified, and the party proceeded according to plan. This function also was a great success. Although our meetings are quite well attended, it would be an added pleasure to receive more support from the fifth forms.



Chairman: Miss STANSFIELD.

Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: JUNE FOULKES.

It was with regret that we said farewell to Fräulein Commer, but we were happy to welcome Fräulein Beier as her successor

The Society has had a number of meetings. The Frankfurt Party had a re-union tea in September, to which members brought souvenirs and post cards. In the same month we were given most entertaining and instructive talks by Miss Bradshaw and Fräulein Beier on Bavaria and Munchen respectively. These talks were followed by a film on Munchen. The "Weihnachtsfest" was held in December and proved to be very enjoyable, with some new and entertaining games organised by Miss Raybould and Fräulein Beier. We welcomed a number of pupils who do not take German, as well as our regular members.

Another enjoyable evening, which was not so well supported as we had hoped, was a film show which included two interesting German films: "Singing in Germany" and "Sunny Lake Constance".

Various members of the German Society represented the School in a "Spoken German Competition" held at the Harrison Barrow Grammar School. On the whole the team did well, and C. B. Nichols won a first prize.

In March, Nichols gave a talk on "Mozart", very well illustrated by B. Harris at the piano, and also by a number of records.

In July a farewell party will be held to say good-bye to those who are leaving at the end of this term, to Fräulein Beier, and particularly to Miss Stansfield. Many will wish to thank her for her enterprise on behalf of the Society, and for making their holidays in Germany so memorable; and I am sure all will want to wish her "a happy retirement".



Chairman: D. E. RUDHALL.

Hon. Secretary: J. S. TURNER.

Hon. Treasurer: M. J. FLYNN.

During the Autumn term the Society showed various geographical films, of which the most interesting were "The Western States of America" and "New Zealand". The most instructive of our meetings, however, was an illustrated talk given by Francis and Rudhall of Vs, in which they explained the methods of drilling for and refining petroleum, and the value of this product in modern life.

In addition to the internal activities, several members of Form VI have attended the meetings of the Birmingham Branch of the Geographical Association and have enjoyed the lectures and talks. In connection with this, a large party visited the University Great Hall on December 16th for the Everest Lecture.

During the summer months, after the examinations, we are proposing to arrange an exhibition in the Geography Room. Many members of Form VI are going on an excursion to the East Midlands, which is being arranged by the Geographical Association.


Chairman: MR. CHOPE.

Hon. Secretary: BERYL WEBSTER.

Hon. Treasurer: LORNA HAYWOOD.

Although the Natural History Society has remained dormant for the last two terms, this is only a temporary lull in its usual enthusiastic activity. Preparations are being made to launch the club again in the summer term, when it is hoped that the weather will permit more out-of-door studies in addition to the usual indoor laboratory work.


Chairman: MR. KIRKBY.

Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: J. YARSLEY.

We began our meetings on October 20th and 21st, and finished a few days before the end of term on 15th and 16th December. On our first meeting we showed "Keep 'em Slugging", starring the "Bowery Boys". At our next meeting we showed "Submarine Base", which was a little more successful than the previous film had been. Next, on November 17th and 18th, we presented "The Black Widow", which was chosen by one of our committee members. Our next presentation, on December 1st and 2nd, was very popular indeed, it was called "Trouble in the Air" and starred Jimmy Edwards. The last film of the session was Noel Coward's "Blithe Spirit" and it was much appreciated by all; it starred Rex Harrison, Constance Cummings and Kay Hammond.
After settling up our accounts we had a sum of £2 0s 0d in hand. At Mr. Kirkby's suggestion I handed this sum to Miss Bradshaw, who put it into the Social Service Fund. We have held no meetings this term, but hope to re-start at the beginning of the Autumn term.


Five years ago, Mr. Walker and I were making our first attempt at writing an opera for Waverley. On that occasion we had some unusually talented—and overgrown—boys, around whom we built our plot. Our subject was Robin Hood, and the title of the opera, "The Sheriff of Nottingham". It was such tremendous fun to produce, and met with so much approval, that we continued to write operas in the three succeeding years-—"Bolt of the Belphegor" (1951), "Andrew Jolliboys"(1952) and "Jupiter Rejuvenatus" (1953).

After our fourth opera, however, inspiration flagged. In the first few months of 1954, two plots were adopted and rejected and later we actually began upon a third, writing words and music for several numbers, some of which were sung at the Christmas Term Concert, before we at length admitted defeat. The muse had left us-—and has shown no signs since of returning, we regret to say!

We are, however, reviving our first success this year, and hope that those who have not seen our "Sheriff of Nottingham" will find it to their liking when they do. Those who did will not be surprised to learn that a number of changes have had to be made in both score and libretto to suit an entirely different cast. Only one of the original principals (C. B. Nichols) remains, and he will be playing a different role from that which he sung five years ago. We have the makings of a very fine chorus of outlaws and Nottingham maidens, and if Friar Tuck has shed some of the bulk which Bunce brought to the part last time, he will, we think, be none the worse "for a' that".
G.A.B. and C.H.W.


President: MR. BLOOMER.

Chairman: K. J. HUMPHRIES.

Hon. Secretary: D. A. LEES.Hon.

Treasurer: M. F. BREWER.

At the start of the Autumn term, the need was felt by some members, of the School for the establishment of a Scientific Society. There had been a Physical Society in existence previously, but it had never really obtained a secure foothold. Therefore it was with no little determination to make their Society a success, that a meeting was held in The Physics Laboratory of those persons interested in its formation. K. J. Humphries was elected as Chairman, D. A. Lees as Hon. Secretary, and M. F. Brewer as Treasurer. Although the Laboratory was not actually filled to capacity, there were enough people present to encourage the Committee elected. The absence of the girls was very noticeable.

The first event held by the Society was a lecture by Branson (Vs), on the gas turbine and its application to the propulsion of aircraft. The lecture was well illustrated, with drawings reproduced on the board, and the impression received was that the speaker definitely knew his subject. Questions were asked at the end of the lecture, and he elucidated further on more specialised topics.

The next lecture was given by the Secretary, and was concerned with cinematography. Lees brought along his own "Freise-Greenian" hand-driven projector, and we were entertained for a short time by Laurel and Hardy, in their best silent form. Partly owing to the lack of lecturers, and also by way of a change, the next meeting took the form of a discussion, where topics including the application of atomic energy to the propulsion of aircraft, and the heat barrier,were discussed. The "heat barrier" is the term applied to the conditions which limit the speed of aircraft travelling at velocities greater than the speed of sound. The friction between the metal aircraft and the air produces a vast quantity of heat, which may, if great enough, melt the metal of the plane. Members always managed to veer away from the point during the discussion, and this made it much more enlightening and enjoyable. Those of the Sixth Form present managed, I believe, to convince a few misguided First Formers that an atom bomb was not quite as bad as it had been made out to be, and that we should not all be obliterated if one fell on Birmingham; this was some little comfort. It was generally felt that this form of meeting was a success, and many members thought that more of its type should be held. Perhaps the oratorical powers of the younger generation were finding an outlet here in the absence of a formal debating society in the School.

Next W. G. Smith delved into the deeper technicalities of sound recording for us, and emerged with his results at the following meeting. He gave us some idea of what a task it had been right at the beginning, by stating that, as sound recording was such a vast topic, he proposed to say very little about film recording, and nothingabout tape recording at all. This lecture was always entertaining andinformative: a short history of recording was given (the hill and dale method used by Edison being explained), and then the speaker gave us some idea of the intense research and work which has to goint o the production of a modern record. The blank disc is first cut by a stylus, vibrating in sympathy with the singer's voice, and this disc is then covered with a layer of gold, one-millioneth of an inch thick. A layer of copper is then deposited on the gold by electrolytic means, and by further processes a durable master copy is obtained. This is used to stamp out the final disc. The advantages of the moving iron recording head were put in a nutshell, when Smith said: "It is light in mass, easily balanced and capable of cancelling out the even harmonies caused by the push-pull action of the armature". The lecture was punctuated by recordings supplied by the speaker, one being taken from an old wax cylinder.

The next item in the Society's calendar was notable if only for its daring. An exhibition of model aeroplanes, and a talk on their construction, was prepared by Francis and Branson, the programme being brought to a close by a practical demonstration by the scientifically minded Sixth. Such demonstrations are notorious among science teachers, for they invariably seem to turn against their originator, and these proved to be no exception. The chemical chameleon (a solution which is supposed to turn through all the colours of the rainbow) turned distinctly black: Courbet here showed great presence of mind, and returned it to its original colour by the addition of acid, and the demonstration was saved.

A. H. Haines, in a lecture on the Solar System, threw light on some of its mysteries, and during the lecture photographs of the planets and the sun were passed around. A little history relating to the discovery of the planets was first given, followed by a general description of the Solar System, after which the planets were dealt with in more detail. The lecture lasted until about five o'clock, andafterwards questions were asked for some time.

The meeting ended with the audience undecided as to whether the planet Venus was a wanderer in space, which had been captured by our solar system, and Mr. Bloomer suggested that those interested should consult certain volumes, which he quoted, to be found in the Reference Library.

"Plastics" was the subject of a lecture delivered by G. J. Myring on May 17th, and he showed us several samples to illustrate the uses to which this versatile material could be put.

Our right to call ourselves the "Scientific Society" was challenged by the Natural History Society, and their committee suggested that the two bodies should merge. However, after a brief survey of the financial situations of both societies, we decided that a merger would not benefit either, and the idea was dropped.
The Scientific Society is essentially a practical society in that it believes that members should take an active part in running it, not that amusements should be provided by a few to be enjoyed by the remainder. In this way the society is kept alive and active, and it is to be hoped that recruits from lower forms will take over the places vacated by members who are leaving at the end of this year.


Just as the scholars of mediæval Europe roamed from one great centre of learning to another to gather the scattered crumbs of knowledge, so the scholars of Waverley have braved the terrors of the "English Ditch" to wander throughout the Continent. To show, however, that this is no one-sided arrangement, we also print the comments of Pierre Boutellier and Michel Devinant who wandered from Lyon to Birmingham, during the same period; their comments are, of course, in French, and the task of rendering them into English might form auseful holiday task, for the members of the junior forms...

We hear first from the Head Boy, who visited Paris to attend une Semaine de Culture, at the Lycée Lakanal:

"Sunday, April 3rd, was different from the usual Sunday, and not only because I arose early! On that day, sixty pupils from all over England were setting out for Paris, to spend ten days at the Lycée Lakanal.

"The party from Birmingham area assembled at 6 a.m. at New Street Station, where everyone was soon talking to his neighbour. Strangers became acquaintances, and in some cases friends; the proverbial English reticence had disappeared.

"The journey for most people was uneventful. The train journeys were spent playing cards, eating sweets or simply gazing through the windows; talking, we left to the girls. The Channel-crossing was likewise disappointing-—there was not a single case of 'mal de mer.'

"We arrived at the Lycée at about eight o'clock, and after having dinner, we lost no time in crawling between the sheets.

"The rising-bell awakened us next morning at seven o'clock, as breakfast was at seven-thirty. This consisted, without exception, of rolls, butter and coffee—-hardly the food for growing boys.

"Work started in earnest at a quarter to nine. For the first twenty minutes we were given exercises in phonetics and pronunciation; after a break of five minutes we had the second lesson, which lasted an hour, as did the third and fourth. Most people found it easy to follow the French, and comforting to hear the facts that their teachers had already told them.

"The French breakfast is not sustaining, so I was always ravenous by lunch-time, which brought a larger meal, which, however, was too English.

"On Tuesday afternoon the party visited the Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Powers in Europe. Here three officers spoke of the work of SHAPE, NATO and UNO. It may sound boring, but everyone seemed fascinated--except for one young gentleman who fell asleep because of the heat! (I may add here that I am no gentleman).

"There were no lessons next day because of the excursion to Rheims. The two coaches set off early across the open countryside of Northern France, and all seemed to be going well until, after carrying on a noisy soliloquy it decided to take us no further. The leading coach disappeared round the corner, but returned a few minutes later. We all squeezed ourselves into it, but it was decided that sixty-four can not go into thirty-odd--not comfortably, anyway--so we waited for another coach to be sent from Paris.

"I enjoyed waiting on the grass verge, simply absorbing the sights sounds and (there was a manure-heap near by), the smells of the French countryside.

"The replacement soon arrived, and carried us without difficulties the rest of the journey to Rheims.

"Here, in the town into which Joan of Arc led the army of Charles VII in 1429, two days before his coronation, we were conducted around the very cathedral in which this coronation took place. Unfortunately, it was damaged during the war, but now few scars remain.

"Rheims is also famous for its champagne--judged by many to be the finest in the world—-so it was only natural that we should visit the cellars, some hewn in Roman times, from the chalk which is the foundation of the district. We were shown around the miles of gloomy tunnels, lined with thousands of dusty bottles, and then went to a large room hung with vines where we could sample, at a small charge, their champagne.

"The return journey was enjoyable, even though little of the landscape near Paris could be seen, as night—and rain—was falling.

"We visited on Thursday, the fashion-house of Edmond Courtot, who told us, sometimes in excellent English, of his creations, which a mannequin was displaying for the benefit of the party.

"As there remained some time before dinner we went to a cafe near the 'Opéra' to sit watching Paris hurrying by. Some of the party then went towards the 'Madeleine' to a 'patisserie' where one could buy some really delicious cakes--especially cream ones....

"After the rather harrowing experience of writing a prize essay next day, Good Friday, we went to the Louvre. Everyone seemed to enjoy it, but what stands out in my memory is not so much the glory of Near Eastern sculpture as the strangeness of far Western culture.

"When we saw the Venus de Milo we were told of its history and its beauty was explained (as far as it can be) but a little later were turned to find another large party around it. Their clothes betrayed them-—Americans! Unfortunately, my American is not very fluent, but I caught the word 'dollars' (approximate translation: 'money') and I gathered that the lecturer was giving a comprehensive financial account of the statue's travels and worth. I am afraid I allowed myself a smug smile.

"Versailles, where we went on Saturday, was disappointing. Like strawberries and cream, gilt can become nauseating. And the large shed on the roof did little to improve the outward appearance of the château.

"The return journey was more interesting. Because someone was late, we dashed into the station with a minute to spare. The teacher with us breathlessly asked about the train. Shrugging his shoulders the Frenchman replied it had gone. The indicator which we then noticed disagreed with him, so, in frantic haste, we fell down the stairs and scrambled into the train. The moral is obvious; when asking a Frenchman's advice, act contrary to it. I found it worked excellently last year as well.
"Of the seven days of the week we had to choose a Sunday to visit the 'Musée Carnavalet'. From attending Holy Communion at the Lycée and Mass at St. Sulpice, we went to the resting-place of many of the relics and records of the French Revolution. Luckily my friend and I found two history-scholars who were going to Oxford, so we were given a lecture on everything of importance. I was, nevertheless, relieved to get outside, for pictures of bloody, body-less heads, and guillotines made of human bones, are not usually conducive to acontented digestion.

"The visit, on Monday, to the waxworks was really fascinating. We were shown, in about thirty cleverly designed scenes, the history of Paris, and to add to the realistic effect gramophone records, smoke and snow were used. I could not make up my mind whether I was in a fairy grotto, or the ghost-train.

"The last day (dismal phrase!) was spent hurrying from shop to shop, comparing prices, and buying presents.

"A dance was arranged after dinner, but I had had enough of French 'dancing' so went into Bourg-la-Reine, and did a little exploring--well, perhaps not exploring, for I had been there before, but had almost forgotten it.

"The journey home was depressing. Everything ran smoothly; the Channel could not summon the strength to make the packet-steamer roll. Not even the sight of England could dispel the gloom— indeed it made it seem worse, for now we were home, and back to routine. At each stage of the journey farewells were said and friends parted. But most of them expressed the cheerful hope: 'See you in Paris nextyear....'"

The Head Girl speaks of a visit to Frankfurt, last year:

"At 2.30 on Tuesday, August 10th, 1954, an excited group of Waverleians bustled into the train on Snow Hill Station, eager to be off on the long journey to Frankfurt.
"After a refreshing salad tea in London, we continued our journey to Harwich, and were aboard the Amsterdam by 10 o'clock. For many of us this was our first crossing, but despite the remarks of the more experienced travellers, we remained quite cheerful.

"In sharp contrast to Holland's monotonous flatness was the beautiful Rhine Valley. The vivid scenery was so wonderful that we ran from one side of the compartment to the other, not knowing what to look at first. Immediately to our left rose the steep terraced valley side, dotted here and there with chalets among the green grape vines. To the right and below us was the sparkling Rhine, busy with pleasure steamers, and as we passed them we heard the passengers singing folksongs, and saw them waving to us. Occasionally on the ridges of the right bank we saw ruined castles--reminders of the time when Germany consisted of many small states. The weather was perfect, and life along the Rhine seemed so vigorous after our rainy Englishsummer.

"Excitement began to mount as we approached Frankfurt, and we had hardly stepped out of the train when our friends came racing along the platform and welcomingly flung their arms round us in true German fashion.

"Our hosts soon packed us off to bed when they saw how tired we were--so tired in fact that I for one had not the energy to pick up 'Federdecke' from the floor (this is a type of large feather eiderdown which is very elusive, and continually slips off the bed).

"On our first day we were taken on a 'Stadtrundfahrt'--a coach-ride around Frankfurt to have its main features pointed out to us. It included also a tour of Frankfurt Airport, one of the largest in Europe. "Friday, however, was our great day, for we went to Heidelberg, along the famous 'Bergstrasse' a flower exhibition was being held in the castle, so it looked particularly gay.

"There is a saying: 'In Heidelberg hab' ich mein Herz verloren' (I lost my heart in Heidelberg), but it was in Miltenberg, which we visited three days later, that mine began to wander. This quaint town is situated on a bend in the Upper Main Valley, and has a typical old market-place, with a fountain in the centre.

"Next we stopped at the picturesque village of Amorbach where they still use scythes for cutting corn, and oxen for pulling their carts. We saw the wonderful baroque style church and then travelled home through Erbach.

"The following day was our last before our friends returned to school, and we spent a very pleasant afternoon at Bad Vilbel, a pretty spa town just outside Frankfurt. We went as guests of the Hinkels, who owned a mineral water factory.

"Other small trips which we made in groups, while our friends were at school, were to the Botanical Gardens, the Senkenberg Museum, the Cathedral, and a short water trip up the Main.

"On August 2Oth, we were to have coffee with the Lord Mayor of Frankfurt, but unfortunately he was unable to come. The Minister of Education received us, and after his welcoming speech and coffee, he took us to see the effective reconstruction of the Römer, and of the Paulskirche as a modern discussion hall. This was only one feature in the impressive 'Wiederaufbau' of Frankfurt since the war.

"On the 23rd August we visited the house in which Goethe was born, and saw there a wreath sent from Stratford-on-Avon, for the anniversary of Goethe's birth on August 28th. Frankfurt sends a similar wreath to Stratford on Shakespeare's anniversary.
"That night we saw a really wonderful performance of 'Carmen' in the Frankfurt Opera House.

"Our last excursion together was to another spa--Wiesbaden, and the next day brought so soon the 'Abschiedsfeier' a good-bye tea, followed by a dance in the school.
"We had a week-end left to enjoy Frankfurt, and my hosts took me into the Taunus Mountains for a day. I think this was the day I shall most remember, for I could join in their carefree 'Wanderlust' as we tramped about fifteen miles through the pine forests.

"At 2 o'clock the next day, however, we stood sadly waiting for the train. We were overloaded with food, fruit and sweets which our kind hostesses had given us for our journey, but all these were forgotten at the thought of parting. During our exchange we had formed firm friendships, and now we found it difficult to say our good-byes.
"Once again on the return journey we saw the wonderful scenery, but this time with more subdued feelings, and for quite a long time the atmosphere was noticeably calmer than on the outward journey. But after a good night's sleep on the boat we began to look forward to seeing our families again, and when we finally arrived in Birmingham, parents, friends and Mr. Whiteley, too, waved us in, and crowded round us to welcome us home.

"Miss Stansfield and Miss Raybould must have been very relieved to find the exchange successfully completed, and we are all extremely grateful for the time and energy they expended to make our holiday one that we shall never forget".

Now we return to New Street Station, to make the journey to Paris again with Jean Abbiss (Vs), and the great contingent who went there this year.

"After having braved the experience of getting to New Street Station for 6 a.m., and the worst sea crossing ever, we arrived at Dieppe, noticing the chalk cliffs that bordered the coast, and the profusion of cafes around the quays. Duly installed in our trains, with luggage safely deposited, we settled down with relief for the long ride through Normandy. It was very interesting, although we did not see any war cemeteries, as we had hoped. The weather seemed to be a good indication of what was to come, and fortunately it did prove to be fine for most of our visit.

"We arrived in Paris at about 6 p.m. and rode in a most uncomfortable and bumpy 'bus through the crowded city, to the Lycée Lakanal, reading out the advertisements that we passed on the way. For many of us, unused to the French cuisine, dinner that night was a series of exclamatory and disgusted grunts, and we were all glad to get to bed after the fourteen hours' excitement.

"Next morning we were up bright and early, ready for our visit to Notre Dame, which we all enjoyed very much. Then came a visit to a cafe, the novices cautiously demanding 'une orangeade glacee', while the more experienced went in for 'cafe noir'. In the afternoon we visited Napoleon's tomb, which we viewed from both upstairs and down, judging it equally impressive from both angles. We saw also the Eiffel Tower in all its glory, but I preferred the Musée Grevin, where the best exhibits are the Revolution scenes, and leaders. We saw an actual copy of L'ami du Peuple, the newspaper written by Marat during the early days of the Revolution.

"The next morning saw us at the Louvre, and the 'Mona Lisa' was duly inspected, but hardly anyone was impressed. The brilliant 'Saint Sebastian' met with more approval. On the day of our visit to Fontainbleu, we scrambled into the coach, relieved to be away from the hazards of Le Metro for at least one day. It was a most enjoyable visit, and we left the wonderful chateau with thoughts of Napoleon, Francis I, the painted ceilings, and the 'seculaire' atmosphere of it all. "We visited the churches of St. Severin, St. Etienne, and St. Julien-le-Pauvre, and the quaint, twisting streets of the Latin Quarter on Good Friday; and at night we saw the lights of Paris, which justified its name of 'Ville de Lumiere'.

"On our last morning we went to the Hotel de Ville for the formalreception. It was indeed a privilege to be received in the hall whereso many famous people, including our own Edward VII, have been, andto hear the band of the 'Gardiens de la Paix', whose actions were sogallant during the Liberation of 1944. The remainder of the day wasspent in shopping, and on the following morning, after service, weagain boarded the 'buses for the Station, after a memorable andenjoyable a visit."

From Paris we switch to Lyon, where D. Bilsborough (IVa) has arrivedafter a long and tedious journey from Snow Hill Station.

"Our French friends met us at the Station, and we separated from the group. The first meal eaten, I went straight to bed. The following day there was no school, as there is a holiday each Thursday. However, it is necessary to go to school on Saturday instead. The School was very large, and there were over two thousand pupils, mostly boys. There were no separate form rooms or teachers, and all school text books had to be kept at home. The periods each lasted one hour, with about five minutes in between each. The teachers were much stricter than they are at home, and it was not uncommon for about three or four boys to be sent to the Head Master each lesson. Everyone was given rather a lot of homework, which had to be done by a certain date. There were only one or two basketball and handball teams, and they had never heard of cricket.

"The way of life was different also. There were different times for eating, with meals four times a day. The first, breakfast, was served at about seven o'clock, as we had to be at school by eight, and consisted of rolls and coffee. Dinner was served at twelve, and was on the lines of an English dinner. Tea was at about five o'clock and consisted of a cup of tea, and bread. Then there was a supper, which was more substantial, and this was served at about seven-thirty or eight o'clock.

"The countryside around Lyon was very pleasant, and from a hill, on which there stands a basilisque, you could see Lyon, and the next village, Willeurbanne. In this village there were skyscrapers and the town hall was built in the American fashion.
"After spending a good six weeks there, we returned on April 15th, and arrived in Birmingham on the next day."

Finally we return to Birmingham in the company of two French visitors, Pierre Boutellier and Michel Devinant, of the Lycée duParc, Lyon:

"Après une traversée de la Manche assez mouvementée, nous sommesarrivés en Angleterre, pour la premiere fois. C'est le port deNewhaven qui nous a d'abord accueillis. Nous avons été frappés parla douane qui a été moins sévère que nous le pensions. Puis noussommes montés dans un train qui nous a surpris par sa longueur.Ensuite, nous avons pu voir la campagne anglaise, assez monotone carelle n'est pas aussi fleurie qu'en France au printemps.

"Puis nous sommes arrivés à Londres, ville vieille, maispittor-esque, avec ses autobus que l'on surnomme en France:'Belle-mères'. Nous avons vu Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, the Housesof Parliament, etc...monuments très beaux mais qui font tropcontraste avec les petites maisons a deux étages. En effet, enAngleterre, les habitations ne sont pas comme à Lyon. A Birmingham,tout est construit en brique rouge, ce qui donne un aspectd' uniformite inconnu chez nous. Presque toutes les maisons ont unjardin, sinon deux, alors qu'à Lyon, on ne trouve cela que dans laBanlieue. II y a peu souvent de maisons elevées comme a Lyon, carles Anglais aiment, plus que les Français, avoir leur 'chez-soi'.Dans la Banlieue, on trouve ce qu'en France on appelle des, 'cités',c'est-à-dire tout un quartier de maisons construites exactement dela même manière. Les rues sont plus larges qu'à Lyon, et lacirculation en est facilitée, mais elle est quand mêeme lente. Pourles chauffeurs, ils nous semblent moins adroit que les français, maisplus aimables. C'est a cause de cette amabilité des conducteursd'automobile et aussi de la lenteur de la circulation que le nombred'accidents est beaucoup inferieur que celui de Lyon. Quant al'interieur, c'est-à-dire la vie de famille, nous avons remarqué quel'education est moins rigide qu'en France, mais les enfants n'en sontpas moins obéissants pour cela. Cette éducation, nous avons pul'observer à la Waverley Grammar School. Elle diffère de l'educationque l'on a au Lycée du Parc, par la camaraderie qui règne entre lesprofesseurs et les élèves qui nous semble quelquefois abusive, parceque nous sommes beaucoup plus sévères. Il y a également la coutume dedire une prière le matin, que l'on ne trouve en France que dans lesécoles libres. Quant a la Waverley Grammar School, elle est beaucoupplus petite que notre Lycée, et il en est de même pour le nombre desélèves. Etant plus petite, elle en est plus familière, et nous avonstrouve qu'il était plus agréable d'aller a l'école en Angleterre,qu'en France; peut-être est-ce parce que l'on y travaille moins"?

With that final provocative comment we bring this chapter to an end,pausing only to remind those whose travellings are confined to thenumber eight 'bus route that it is the journeying of the mind thatcounts for most in the end; Pierre and Michel would no doubt be wellcontent to think that they had instituted any such journeys.



It is now a generally accepted custom that for each edition of "The Arch" the sub-editors should interview a member of the Staff. In the past, those chosen for the interviews have, more often than not, been our temporary staff, such as the French or German assistants. This year, however, will be an exception, for our chosen "victim" is our new Head Master, Mr. Hill.

A new permanent addition to the Staff, especially a Head Master, is bound to arouse a certain amount of curiosity among the pupils. They would like to know something about his background, his attitude to our School, and his plans for the future. A Head Master's attitude to his pupils is of primary importance if harmony is to exist in a school, and we have already gratefully noticed that Mr. Hill takes a keen interest in us as individuals, in order to understand us as agroup. Therefore, with a desire to satisfy our own curiosity and an even greater desire to make the understanding mutual, we undertook to interview Mr. Hill on behalf of the pupils.

Mr. Hill is not really a stranger to our part of the world, for he was born at Walsall, and there attended Queen Mary's Grammar School. He continued his education at St. John's College, Cambridge, and began his teaching career at March Grammar School in Ely, specialising in History. It was not interest in History alone, however, which decided his career, but also a desire to be among young people, whose freshness and energy he finds stimulating. From 1940 until 1946, Mr. Hill served as an officer in the King's African Rifles. Having always been keen on languages, he studied Ki-Swahili on the boat, while sailing to Africa, and later taught it to British Army personnel, stationed in East Africa. He also knows a little of the language of the Wakamba, Kikuyu and Acholi tribes. We feel sure that they are really more difficult than Mr. Hill pretended, despite the fact that these languages are still in the primitive stage, and have no written literature.

When we returned to the subject of schools, we asked Mr. Hill rather hesitatingly what his first impressions of Waverley were. We need not have hesitated, for he found here, despite our rather old and gloomy building, a happy and friendly atmosphere, which is, of course, far more important to the success of a school than its more material aspects. He paid tribute to the Staff and Pupils, who by their kindness to him had made the task of taking over from such a well respected Head Master as Mr. Whiteley, a smooth and pleasant one.

Here we found a suitable moment to introduce the subject of co-education, for we pupils have decided views about it and we hoped for Mr. Hill's support. We were glad to hear that he felt that on lyin a co-educational school could one achieve the necessary balance of masculine wildness and feminine caution that makes for a forward looking, but balanced society. A mixed school, the Head Master pointed out, has advantages, too, in dramatics, and we certainly believe that it is up to Waverley to show Mr. Hill just what can be accomplished in our operas!

Our final questions, perhaps the most interesting from our point of view, concerned Mr. Hill's plans for the future of Waverley. He is hoping to develop further out-of-school activities, and in particular to introduce a Sixth Form Club. Its members will give papers on subjects of general interest, and will hold debates and discussions. He expressed regret, however, that we have no Common Room or library in which such meetings could take place.

One change has already been effected--that is in the form of "The Arch". Mr. Hill hopes that by making the production of the Magazine an annual event, a bigger and better copy will be forthcoming. A School Magazine reflects the life of the School, so let us prove to readers that we are not dormant!


An Interview by BERYL WEBSTER (VI).

A staunch member of the Waverley Community is a person who is often forgotten, and I think he deserves an honourable mention on the pages of our Magazine.

Mr. Dutton has been a school caretaker for 26 years, 14 of which have been spent in service here at Waverley. His duties are numerous and varied, ranging from overseeing the whole school estate to stoking the boilers in the cellar.

Work for Mr. Dutton begins at the unearthly hour of 6.30 a.m., or even earlier in winter, when he commences the numerous tasks about the School which make up his busy day. He begins by lighting the School boilers and then carries on lighting the canteen boilers, the staff-room fires, and supervises the cleaning of the School. The boilers have to be maintained at regular half-hourly intervals, otherwise the temperature drops. Mail has to be attended to, doors unlocked and gates opened, all before school starts at 9 a.m.

He has three assistants aiding him in his work, whose duty it is to maintain the cleanliness of the building, which is no mean task, considering that each one of the seventeen classrooms has to be swept and dusted every day, in addition to the three laboratories, the art room, the woodwork room, the domestic science room, the teachers' studies, the cloakrooms and the hall. Fortunately, Mrs. Gale aids in cleaning the labs., which is a great help to Mr. Dutton and his staff.

When asked whether he found young people stimulating, Mr. Dutton nodded and answered: "Yes, for the most part, but some are decidedly irritating". Then he went on to explain just why he found them irritating; apparently, two of the things which vex him most are: waste paper "stuffed" behind radiators and desk lids firmly sealed by chewing gum.

Besides being an important member of school life, Mr. Dutton is a "family man", residing in the School house, in the boys' playground.

He has two sons--Gordon, 30 and Roy 21. Both boys have had service experience, in fact, Roy is still serving with Royal Air Force.

Having heard that one of the caretaker's duties is to maintain the heat of the school, I was curious to see just how this is achieved, so I questioned Mr. Dutton about it, and he very kindly offered to show me the equipment used for this purpose. There are three huge boilers, each containing three sections or grills. The three grills are separately encased in an outer-layer of lagging with a furnace underneath. The water is fed into the boilers from store tanks in the tower. It is heated and fed round the school in pipes to the radiators in all the classrooms.

Mr. Dutton told me of the most frightening moment of his life. Apparently, in the winter of 1945, the last year of the war, the authorities had tipped a load of coke into Waverley Road, to be used by the school when necessary. The caretaker shovelled the coke into the cellar where it lay untouched until the winter of 1946. Mr.Dutton had just lit the boilers, one morning, when he noticed a bright glare coming from one of them. To his absolute horror he realised that he had put an incendiary bomb on to the blaze without knowing it.

He was in a complete dilemma, not knowing whether to run and advise a complete evacuation of the school, or whether to try and put it outhimself. Fortunately the bomb was not very effective, and the caretaker managed, with the help of his assistant, to render it harmless.

This, of course, is an outstanding incident in Mr. Dutton's work which is for the most part just repetition of the day before's duties. In many cases work done by such men as Mr. Dutton is overlooked, and remains unnoticed by staff and pupils alike, but it is due to such work that the smooth running of the school is possible.
I would like to take this opportunity of saying: "Thank you, Mr.Dutton."


In order to stimulate young writers, we inaugurated a poetry competition in the last issue of the Magazine, and have repeated theexperiment this time. We think the result very much worthwhile, and print below the terms of the competition, and the winning poems, together with comments by Mrs. Boote, who both set and judged thework.

The competition was divided into junior and senior sections. Thejuniors (Forms I, II and III) were required to write a poem of not more than 16 lines in rhyming couplets or in ballad form, with the title, "Three Wishes". The senior section of the competition required that entrants should write a poem of at least 12 lines, and not more than 24, in any verse form, or in free verse; the title was to be "Hidden Treasure."

Mrs. Boote writes: "The entries from Form IVa and IVs were good, and the competition was well supported by Forms IIa and IIIa, and by all the first forms. Many competitors in the junior section were quite successful in writing to the ballad metre, but they lacked originality in their treatment of the theme."


By Ann Bradshaw (IIIa)

To go back into history,
Seeing events now passed,
Would be the theme of wishes three,
Fulfilling my dreams at last.

First the ancient Greeks I would place,
Watching Pheidippides
Running the first marathon race,
Battling against the breeze

Skimming across the centuries
On Plymouth Hoe to be;
Glimpsing white sails on tossing seas,
Proud Spanish flags I see.

The final scene that I would choose,
Is one not long now passed,
A fitting one to end my muse:
Our Queen enthroned at last.


By Sheila Mason (IVa)

Amid the desert's burning, windswept waste,
Where scavenger jackals sunk with cowardly face,
And preying vultures scour the drifting sand,
The ruins of a conqueror's palace stand.

He ruled an empire powerful, rich and vast.
His fortune in gold was boundless, unsurpassed;
And all the wealth of the East was his to own
From African ivory to the pearls of a coral lagoon.

From Tyre, men came with purple dye to trade,
From China, junks with loads of priceless jade,
Lebanon sent him scented cedar logs,
Arabia, carpets, and India, hunting dogs.

But Roman legions tolled his Empire's knell;
Under their short, broad swords his warriors fell.
And his treasure still lies deep beneath the sands,
For ever hidden from greedy, covetous hands.

The entry of June Newton (IVs) on the theme of "Hidden Treasure" was commended.



My uncle, recently on holiday in this country from Kenya, told me wonderful stories about the National Game Park there.

The Park is situated several miles from Nairobi, and it is imperative that one travels by car, for, once inside, that is the only mode by which visitors are allowed to inspect its grandeur. The reason isobvious: in a park full of wild animals, a long walk would beinviting trouble.

Covering an area of about thirty-five square miles, the Park is surrounded by a single strand wire fence, which serves as a boundary as well as keeping the animals in. That being so, why do the animals not get out? Well, naturally, some of them do, but the resources inside the Park keep most of them from wandering.

Water can sometimes be a problem in Kenya, so that the many streams and dams inside the Park are a great temptation for game. Usually it is the older ones which leave, for they find hunting difficult, with so many animals in competition; they wander off into the surrounding bush to eke out their remaining days. A group of expert hunters,known as Rangers, constantly patrols the Park for signs of these old animals. They shoot them, whenever possible, for once having left the Park, this type of animal is a constant danger. When these animals are hungry they will attack man.

Immediately on entering the Park one is confronted by a huge skull, and a few old bones—those of an elephant. Beneath, in letters a foot high, is the legend that is to be seen at every possible point during the tour. STAY IN YOUR CAR. These words are no mere caution to be happily disregarded. With lions and other animals roaming at will, the advice is sound.

The landscape is a variety of valleys, hills, streams, great plains, dense stretches of forest and bush. Many roads criss-cross the whole area. Various localities are named after the animal one is most likely to see; thus, boards announce: Lion Valley, Hippo Pool, Hyaena Dam, and so on. Of course, since all animals are free to roam, it is not a foregone conclusion that one will meet particular beast at the locations named for them.

The lion naturally arouses most interest. Visitors' curiosity is evident by the number of cars grouped around his domain. Sometimes the lion becomes curious about his visitors, and it is no uncommon experience to have a lion clamber over your car, licking the windows in amazement, and trying to make your better acquaintance.
Neither is it unusual for a stream of cars to be held up on the road, whilst Mr. and Mrs. Leo sun themselves in the centre. Only after much horn-blowing can they be induced to remove themselves, and to walk majestically into the bush with an air of grievance.

The presence of baboons at Baboon Escarpment is soon made evident by a shower of small missiles directed at inquisitive visitors. A direct hit on a car brings forth an outburst of shrill, near human laughter, and the disrespectful gestures as the baboons advance with glee on the nearby cliff edge. Near by the monkeys pay little regard to visitors, being more concerned with scratching for fleas, and conducting merry chases through leafy trees.

It is an inspiring sight to stay quietly at one of the drinking pools and watch the various herds as they gather there to drink. Possibly, if one stayed long enough, one would see most of the animals that live in the Park. They usually gather at early evening, with the sun setting, only as a tropical sun can, throwing an orange glow on the rippling waters. This scene is a sight to be remembered.


We set off from Lwnstiqz in our motorised rickshaw through barrend eserts of snow-covered tropical forests.

Now and then (chiefly then) we would come upon primitive native settlements with their three-storey prefabricated flats. In one such village we were lucky enough to witness a race between a dug-out canoe and a motor launch, on dry land!

Once we came upon a crocodile singing in its bath; it sounded rather like Johnnie Ray, but perhaps that was because it was submerged.

The highlight of our visit to a neighbouring region, West-Central North Pomerania, was our witnessing of a Dalmatian dog, which belonged to a tribe of Alsations, doing the Indian rope trick backwards in Latin. It suddenly appeared in mid-air, let down a rope ladder, descended, and barked "Vale."

Nothing else of interest occurred on this trip, and we docked safely in Birmingham on April 64th, two years ago.
A.R.P. (5a)

By Rachel Smith (IIIy)

In a lone cottage on the downs
With winds and blizzards, and great crowns
Of shining daffodils, gold and bright.
Lived an old hermit, Daniel White.

He was known all round for far and wide,
And lived deep in the country side.
He gave each little child a charm,
So that it would not come to harm;

Even the skylark that reached great height,
Would come to the hermit, Daniel White.
And now poor Daniel White has died,
But still he's known o'er far and wide.

Now he's buried, dead, and gone.
And of his skylarks there are none.
--But yet his voice can still be heard
Through the hills, just like a bird.


With reference to the last edition of "The Arch", a number of us have noticed that our physical activities are supposed to be tennis, cricket, rounders, hockey, netball, football and swimming. The latter is held for one term only, in the whole of our senior schoolcareer; and even then it is held when most of us cannot swim, and therefore do not enjoy it to its fullest extent. May we suggest that swimming is held regularly each summer for every form, as in most other schools?
Yours, etc.,


The Association has now started on its third year, and I am sure that it is going to be a year in which the Association will take great strides forward.

The emphasis during the past two years has had to be on consolidation. You will appreciate that with any new society, progress is impossible, unless the funds are available to support such progress. Even so, money in itself will not make the Association flourish; there has to be a demand from Old Waverleians, and ahhough this demand has come in the main from those who have left school recently, it has proved that the work which has been put in by the committees has not been in vain.
When this article is published, there will be a number of you leaving school, and here I quote from my own reactions: "anxious to cut the strings which are holding you back from the adult world". However, you will not, I am sure, want to lose the friendships which have developed as you progress through the school.

The Old Waverleians' Association is a means of retaining these old friendships and starting new. Do not pass the opportunity by.

The Annual General Meeting of the Association was held in May. Mr. E. G. Hill kindly presided. A new Committee was elected and it smembers are as follows: Miss M. Blackband, Mrs. G. M. Davis, Mrs. B. Hawkesford, Miss M. Rogers and Messrs. A. Davis, D. Harris, R. Twyford and P. Ward. Mr. R. A. Hawkesford was re-elected Secretary; Miss D. Bosworth was re-elected Treasurer, and Miss P. Powell was re-elected Financial Secretary.

The subscriptions for the current year are as follows:

Working members... ... ... ... ... 6/- per year.
Student members... ... ... ... ... 3/- per year.
Associate members ... ... ... ... 7/6 per year.
Junior members (Forms VI and V)... 2/6 per year.
Country members... ... ... ... ... 5/- per year.
Members in first year after school 3/-
Married couples... ... ... ... ... 10/- per year.

Subscriptions can be paid at any function or sent to Miss D. Bosworth at School.

On July 17th, 1954, a Dance was held in the School Hall at which Mr. R. A. Hawkesford the Secretary, presented Mr. Whiteley with a television set. About 250 Old Pupils were present and many more had contributed to the gift and thereby had shown their appreciation to Mr. Whiteley for his long and devoted service to the School.


DR. K. LAYBOURN (1935-1937), who was Chemistry Master for a couple of years before the War, has been appointed as Chief Inspector of Schools for Bristol.

THELMA JONES (1946-1953) and BARBARA HARDMAN (1946-1953), who complete their course of training this summer, have been accepted forteaching appointments in Birmingham, to date from September next.

GEOFFREY SUMMERS (1931-1937), who graduated in History at Birmingham University, after his military service during the War, is teaching History at a Coventry Comprehensive School.

J. M. DOUBLEDAY (1944-1951), completes the course for the Diploma of Education at Birmingham this summer, and has been appointed to the Mathematical Staff of King Edward's Grammar School for Boys,Camp Hill.

R. C. COTTON (1941-1946), has just obtained his final qualifications as a doctor at Leeds University, and for the next six months will be House Doctor at St. James's Hospital, Leeds. This success marks an outstanding triumph over difficult circumstances. Losing both his parents in an air-raid in the early stages of the War, R. C. Cottonleft school at the age of 16 to start work with the Dunlop Co. Whilst there he obtained a Higher School Certificate by means of part-time study, and on the strength of that was admitted to the Medical Faculty of Leeds University, after completing his national service.

G. E. KING (1947-1954), an apprentice with the Bristol Aeroplane Company, has been admitted to the Second Year of the Mechanical Engineering Course at Birmingham University, beginning in October next.

JACQUELINE SAUNDERS (1944-1949), who obtained in 1953 the National Diploma in Design awarded by the Ministry of Education, has been selected for a post in the Design Department of Messrs. Cadbury.

Until recently, HARRY THORNE (1931-1934) has been in the Fayid area of the Canal Zone, after spending two years in Cyrenaica. H. Thorneis a Captain in the Royal Army Educational Corps, and Supervising Officer of his Centre. He writes with characteristic zest and humour. "We cater for social as well as educational activities: over the Christmas period the Centre is being used for the complete extremes of a Unit Dance and a Midnight Mass....In a nutshell, if you want to know a little more about anything, or to meet congenial company, call on us, and we shall do our best for you."

J. K. N. JONES (1923-1930), is at Kingston, Ontario, holding a professional post in charge of research work in chemistry. During last winter he went on extended lecturing tours in the United Statesand Eastern Canada.

BERYL WEARE (1938-1945), who graduated at Birmingham in one of the Natural Science Departments, and has been teaching in a Girls' Grammar School, has accepted a post under the Church Missionary Society, and is to leave for Mauritius in the Autumn.

A. BENNETT (1948-1953), is now employed at Fort Dunlop in the Export Department.

G. BRINDLEY (1948-1954), has been playing regularly for the Moseley Second Cricket Eleven.

MARY PRICE (1945-1952), is just completing her course at Bath College of Domestic Science. She has been appointed to a teaching post under the London County Council.
We have been pleased to hear that ROY ABEL (1941-1947), who left usto go to the College of Art, has now completed his military service and is studying at the Royal College of Art in London. He has recently painted several portraits for patrons in Birmingham, and we remember seeing one of them featured in the local press. It looked a fine piece of work, and we hope to hear more of his success in this field in the future. (W.H.D.).

Careers in the Coal Industry.--Modern Coalmining is very largely a new industry. More accurately, it is an old and vital industry whichis being reconstructed to serve the present and future needs of the nation. While other forms of energy will help, the main source of power in the foreseeable future will continue to be coal.

Technical Careers.--Many well-paid and absorbing jobs are available and the Coal Board are ready to train you for them, either through a University Scholarship or--if you prefer to earn and learn at the same time--by taking you into the industry straight from school and providing technical training without loss of pay.

University Scholarships.--Highly-trained mining engineers are urgently needed. The National Coal Board offer a hundred University Scholarships a year: most are in Mining Engineering, but some are available in Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineering and in Fuel Technology. They are worth about the same as State Scholarships and successful candidates receive them in full--parents' financial position makes no difference to the value of the awards.

Practical Training.--When you have qualified--either through the University or through technical college while working--you are eligible for a two or three year course under the Coal Board's management training scheme. Each trainee has a course mapped out for him personally and a senior engineer gives him individual supervision. If you come in to the industry on the mining engineering side, you have a very good chance of becoming, between the ages of 25 and 30, a colliery undermanager at a salary between £900 and £1,200 ayear--or even a colliery manager with a salary in the range £950 to £1650.

Other Careers.--There are also good careers' in the Board's Scientific Department and in administrative posts. Young men and women of good educational standard (who have preferably spent some time in the sixth form or have attended a university) are also needed in such fields as marketing, finance and labour relations.

Full details can be obtained from any Divisional Headquarters of the Board or from the National Coal Board, Hobart House, London, S.W.1.


The Editor: MR. FROST

The Art Editor: MR. DAVIS

The Sub-Editors: C.B. NICHOLLS and IRENE HUNT



The cover design, the House emblems, and other scraper-board illustration, are by ELIZABETH JEWITT (VIth)

The title page design is by EUNICE KIRBY (IVa)

Other illustrations are by D.J. GROVE (VIth) and MARGARET POUNTNEY (VIth)

The School Diary was compiled by IRENE HUNT (VIth)

This E-text was prepared from the original in 2004 by Roy Brown, member of IVf in 1959. carolandroy@oranah3.freeserve.co.uk

Anyone requiring copies of the photographs and illustrations, or details of Sports and House activities, should contact this e-mail address.


  • At April 17, 2017 at 2:04 AM, Blogger Robert Whittock said…

    It's interesting to see comments about schooldays so long ago and to see one or two familiar names, but unfortunately my days there started with evacuation to Melton Mowbray in 1941 and a transfer back to family in Wales in 1944. I recall Mr Whiteley wielding a mighty cane for my climbing on the roof, kissing 'June' in the shelters and playing my first game of 'footie' for the school under the great Alan Pollard - but that was long ago! Good memories...

    Bob Whittock. (Talisman).


Post a Comment

<< Home